Thursday, April 14, 2011

My New Profile -- Changing Churches Is Tough

Our church friends become family after a while. There are many reasons for leaving a church, moving to a new city or across town. Or, perhaps you just find a church that better fills your needs at this time in your life and you decide to make the change. Whatever the reason, leaving can lead to a feeling of loss and a period of grieving, no matter how happy you are at your new church. It's not just the church activities you miss, it's the friends you were used to seeing week after week, some twice a week.

We identify with our churches to a point where they can become a part of our identity. That happened to me recently. Although it has been several months since we switched churches, I noticed my blog profile hadn't been changed. Now it has.

Here is my new blog profile:

I am a Stephen Leader, a Stephen Minister, and a member of First United Methodist Church in Georgetown, Texas. While singing with the Austin Lyric Opera Chorus, I was in 42 productions. Along with my wife, Celeste, I sing with the San Gabriel Chorale and we have been in several Berkshire Choral Festivals. I am an Adjunct Professor at Austin Community College where I teach computer courses. I received the adjunct teaching excellence award in 2005. I am a member of the American Christian Fiction Writers, the Writers League of Texas, and the San Gabriel Writers' League. I have a Master of Science degree from the University of Houston and a Bachelor of Arts from the University of California at Long Beach. Awards for Where Love Once Lived include First Place -- 2007 SouthWest Writers Contest in the Inspirational/Spiritual Category, First Place -- 2007 Writers' League of Texas Novel Manuscript Contest, Romance Category, Third Place -- Fourteenth Annual Lone Star Writing Competition, Northwest Houston Chapter of the Romance Writers of America, Inspirational Romance Category and Finalist -- 2006 Yosemite Writers Contest Novel Category.

I'd love to hear about your experiences in moving from one church to another.

No comments:

Post a Comment